Perdido 03

Perdido 03

Monday, November 1, 2010

David Sirota On Why Both Parties Suck

Uh, huh:


For decades, both parties have colluded to pass the deregulatory policies that financialized our economy; the trade policies that crushed workers' wages; and the war/defense spending policies that have blown a hole in our deficit and made us less safe. During the same time, both parties have colluded to block meaningful efforts to truly reform the health care system, end our dependence on fossil fuel and make our tax system more fair. In response, voters have become more and more frustrated as they realize the reality of the situation.

Thus, in the last two elections - two elections that have seen overwhelming votes for anything defined as "change" - those voters have been saying to Washington, D.C. the same thing Elaine Miller told her young son as he traveled with Stillwater in the movie Almost Famous: "I know what's going on."

Now we're on the precipice of voters saying this for a third time.

Sure, I'm in no way happy that Republicans are poised to make gains off all this (I'm not happy because despite the Democratic Party's collusion in the policies mentioned above, that party has far more members who have valiantly fought the good fight). But being unhappy doesn't mean I'm surprised at what's going on. I'm not surprised - indeed, Democratic losses are quite predictable, considering what's been going on.

Many voters are demoralized not because Democrats' promise of change didn't happen - but more fundamentally, because in many cases Democrats didn't even make an honest attempt at the change they promised (as just one example, consider the fact that the public option didn't even get a single vote in the Senate). That basic realization will likely depress Democratic turnout. Meanwhile, many independent voters, who voted for Obama's "change" brand in 2008, will probably once again vote for anything resembling change from the current status quo - and that means voting against the Democrats and for anti-Obama Republicans.


I agree that the Democratic Party has more members who valiantly fight the good fight for working and middle class Americans than the Republican Party.

But these days the leadership in BOTH parties have sold out to the corporate interests, so we got two years of Democratic rule in which the president put in place an education policy that promotes privatization, bailed out big banks while forcing the UAW to take 50% pay cuts, mandated 31 million uninsured Americans buy crappy private insurance while charging a 40% excise tax on people with employer-provided health care plans to fund that program, and gave cover to a fradulent mortgage and banking industry by refusing to punish crime and corruption in the foreclosure business.

We got a doubling down of the Forever War Against Terra that seems to simply foment more attacks against the United States. We got permanent troops in Iraq from the president who vowed to end the war in iraq. We got more spying, more government control, more ceding of government power to private corporations in the name of "security" and safety" or "efficiency" and "market-based competition."

Tell me the difference between Republicans and Democrats again?

I know this will upset some folks on the left out there, but I see very little reason to vote for most Dems tomorrow. I do not think the Republicans who replace them will be any better. Actually, I am certain most (or all) will be worse.

But I am SICK and TIRED of voting for a Democratic Party that seems to relish sticking it to the left, to unions, to working and middle class people and to teachers.

I am SICK and TIRED of teachers being demonized by this White House and its allies on education.

So now I only vote ON ISSUES.

I am one of those voters who was excited by the Democratic takeovers of '06 and '08.

But not anymore.

Now I am looking for alternatives.

Until I find a feasible one, I am voting ON ISSUES only.

This won't solve anything, but it sure will help me sleep better at night knowing I voted for what I want and didn't get it rather than I voted for what I DIDN'T want and got it (as happened with Obama and his ed policy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment