Perdido 03

Perdido 03

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

A Politician Who Sees The Real World Implications Of More "Reform" For Schools

In Jessica Bakeman's article exploring Cuomo's desire to make mayoral control possible in cities other than New York City comes this:

Syracuse mayor Stephanie Miner, a former co-chair of the State Democratic Party who has been an outspoken critic of Cuomo’s policies, said mayoral control in her city might improve students’ outcomes, but she’s concerned about introducing more changes when schools are already overwhelmed.

“In a perfect world, yes, I’d be interested in exploring mayoral control, but we are far from a perfect world,” Miner said. “I want more accountability for our school district, and I want systems that help us improve outcomes. If we can make changes in the governance structures to enable that, I’m on board.

“But I am also very cognizant on a daily basis of the kind of pressures our schools, our students, our teachers are under because of Common Core and these other tremendous sea changes that are being implemented in our schools,” she said.

Wouldn't it be nice if other politicians were also "very cognizant on a daily basis of the kind of pressures our schools, our students, our teachers are under because of Common Core and these other tremendous sea changes that are being implemented in our schools”?

As far as I can tell, Cuomo wants more pressures on schools, students and teachers, never met a tremendous sea change he didn't want to impose.

1 comment:

  1. You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about an hour. I am a newbie and your success is very much an inspiration for me.

    Negotiation & Leadership Games

    ReplyDelete