1. A contract that includes the "City pattern" with no givebacks!.
2. No ATR time limit, ever!
3. No changing the "last in, first out" layoff list.
4. No weakening of our "due process" rights.
5. The right to a fair and independent investigation for alleged misconduct.
6. Elimination of the PIP+ termination program.
7. Teacher input into the teacher evaluation program.
I would add a few more items to the list and I'm going to expand the wish list to the AFT as well:
1. Learn how to frame issues in a winning way (For example, the UFT has framed the TDR fight as "These reports are loaded with errors, so they shouldn't be published." WRONG! That allows the DOE to correct the mistakes and then publish the reports. The CORRECT WAY to frame this issue is: "These reports have 35% margins of error when using just a couple of years of data, a 25% margin of error when using five years of data and a 12% margin of error when using ten years of data. Value Added Teacher Data Reports are WORSE than useless - they are harmful to both teachers and students, will unfairly end the careers of many good teachers and will not improve education in any way.")
2. Don't trust Bloomberg/Black/Obama/Duncan/Gates/Broad on ANYTHING. How many times do you have to have Bloomberg go back on deals you've made with him before you realize his word is about as valuable and trustworthy as his weather sense? How often do you have to to have Obama screw teachers on policy before you realize you should be fighting him, not supporting him? How many times do you have to hear Gates say teachers are paid too much, should be fired at will and suck before you stop inviting him to conventions and doing joint interviews at NEWSWEEK with him?)
3. Promote a positive agenda of progressive, humanistic education that teaches the WHOLE CHILD, not just the part that works at standardized test scores. Say how damaging a test-based public education system that bases teacher pay, teacher evaluations and school ratings ONLY on test scores is.
Those are the three I can think of off the top of my head. Please add to the list with other suggestions in the comment thread.
Not that the UFT or AFT will follow any of these as they sell members down the river on test scores, TDR's, school closures, merit pay, and the rest.
But at least we can offer some alternatives to the current jive the UFT and AFT offer.