Perdido 03

Perdido 03

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Andrew Cuomo To Preet Bharara: There's Nothing You Can Investigate Me For

Andrew "I Am The Government" Cuomo says Preet Bharara can't investigate his Moreland Commission tampering:

Gov. Andrew Cuomo says that any possible interference by his administration into the operations of the recently disbanded Moreland Commission would not be subject to investigation.

In an interview Wednesday with the Crain’s editorial board, Mr. Cuomo responded to recent comments by Southern District U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara that he would take “very, very seriously any suggestion” that Mr. Cuomo’s office interfered with the Moreland Commission, which Mr. Cuomo empaneled in 2013 to investigate corruption in the state Legislature. Mr. Bharara declined to rule out investigating whether Mr. Cuomo’s office had sought to influence the commission.

But Mr. Cuomo told Crain’s that because he formed the Moreland Commission himself, his administration would have the legal leeway to be involved in its affairs.

“It’s not a legal question. The Moreland Commission was my commission,” Mr. Cuomo explained. “It’s my commission. My subpoena power, my Moreland Commission. I can appoint it, I can disband it. I appoint you, I can un-appoint you tomorrow.

"So, interference? It’s my commission. I can’t 'interfere' with it, because it is mine. It is controlled by me.”

Read the whole piece at Crain's - Cuomo is definitely on the defensive over the Moreland mess, he's clearly sending Preet Bharara a message, but I just wonder if his bravado won't come back to bite him in the end.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, his handlers must have winced when they heard that one.

    It's unusual for him to be so candid and revealing of his character in a public statement; that's usually reserved for his mean-spirited behavior and policies.

    Well, saying "L'etat Cest Moi" to an ambitious federal prosecutor may not be a solid career move, but I'm happy to see him say something he is certain to regret.

    May the political erosion begin...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, I was shocked to see him go so far in these comments. Clearly the Crain's interview must have gotten under his skin, because he had one of those Captain Queeg moments where he revealed way more than he should have.

      Yes, I bet his handlers will not be happy. But many are already jumping ship, so maybe that's part of the problem. He's less controlled because his campaign apparatus is falling apart.

      BTW, I already crafted an ad for Astorino to run against Cuomo using the "Mine, mine, mine!" statements:

      http://perdidostreetschool.blogspot.com/2014/04/using-andrew-cuomos-own-ad-against-him.html

      Delete
  2. Not sure if Preety Boy is as bought and paid for here as he was in the case of Bloomberg.He has thus far, however, come off as somewhat of a sycophant, though the bloom may be coming off That rose...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I agree with that point. Few real powers on Wall Street get any scrutiny from Our Man Preet. That said, it is in is interest to take out Cuomo, esp. if he has eyes on the governor's office (as is believed.) He can do to Cuomo what Cuomo did to Spitzer. It was never in his interest to take out Bloomberg. That would be a mark against him with the Wall Street Boys if he decided to later run for political office.

      Delete