Perdido 03

Perdido 03

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Wouldn't It Be Great If Cuomo Was Saying This?

First, the quote:

“There is no one-size-fits-all education policy that is best for all corners of the state. Our local officials need flexibility and less red tape so they can pursue solutions that will work best in their regions. We’re doing more with less these days. Teachers have taken a lot of hits. Unlike the Democrats, I’m not going to promise huge new spending plans that no governor will be able to keep. Instead, I’m going to shoot straight with teachers, honor their service and, most important, I’m going to LISTEN to their ideas. As governor, I’ll have a strong working relationship with teachers built on a shared devotion to world-class education for our children.”

That's Nathan Deal, current candidate for governor of Georgia.

He is a Republican.

He sought input from teachers as he was putting together his education platform.

That's right - teachers.

Unlike Bill Gates, Eli Broad, the NBC/GE family, Geoffrey Canada, Mike Bloomberg, Joel Klein, Michelle Rhee, Adrian Fenty, Oprah Winfrey, or Andrew Cuomo, Deal actually likes and respects teachers.

How do I know?

Well, I listen to his words:

"I can't develop an educational platform without the input of the professionals in the classroom," Deal said. "Teachers are already offering thoughtful and constructive advice and I look forward to hearing from more of them."

The survey also offers teachers an opportunity to submit written advice for Deal on priorities for education.

"Give teachers the power to teach their students in the most appropriate and beneficial way," wrote one teacher in her comments to Deal. "Teachers have to be treated with respect and we need an advocate not more dictators or enemies!"

Deal, who is married to a former school teacher and is the son of career teachers, said Georgia's teachers will have a strong advocate in him.

"When Roy Barnes was telling teachers what was wrong with them, I was helping my wife grade papers," Deal said. "I have been listening to Georgia teachers throughout my public life and welcome their input."


Wow - honor the service of teachers, listen to their ideas, shoot straight with them...what a concept!

Contrast those words from Deal with Andrew Cuomo's platform, which demonizes teachers, calls for more charter schools without any accountability measures, pushes to end teacher tenure, calls for the end of the seniority system in layoffs and promotes merit pay.

Cuomo hasn't said much in public about teachers lately, but he was seen leaving a meeting with some hedge fund managers/education "reformers" with a briefcase full of hedge fund criminal cash, so it would be reasonable to expect that Cuomo will promote the education deform agenda that is supported by his hedge fund owners.

And indeed, his campaign literature parrots Democrats for Education Reform pamphlet rhetoric.

I'm not saying Nathan Deal would necessarily garner my vote were I living in Georgia. He has some stands on other issues, particularly immigration, which I find disturbing.

But I do know that I would appreciate hearing him defend teachers and ask for their input on education issues.

Cuomo, on the other, dismisses teachers and the teachers unions and prefers to only take input from the hedge fund managers/education "reformers" he meets in hotel rooms.

Cash only, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment