Perdido 03

Perdido 03

Monday, March 28, 2011

Post Attacks Teacher Salary

The Post criticizes salary step hikes and longevity increases.

The gist of the article, planted by Bloomberg's people, is that teachers should not get salary step or longevity increases because the contract has expired - even though the city is required to pay these increases through law.

Apparently contracts are only sacrosanct for Murdoch and Bloomberg on the rich person's end of it.

I got my last salary step increase in 2008.

I will go until February 2012 until I get my next one.

So no matter what the Post says, teachers are NOT getting increases every year.

But facts, schmacts - this is about laying the ground work to go after salary step increases and longevity since the mayor is not going to get the changes to LIFO he wants.

The UFT had better take note that salary step and longevity increases are NOT places to compromise with the mayor to reduce the specter of layoffs.

The place to compromise with Bloomberg is to force him to cut outside consultants and tech contracts.

The UFT can do that by going on a coordinated campaign to show how much money Bloomberg wastes on these things.

4 comments:

  1. We took step freezes for a few years I believe in another budget crisis - maybe early 90's or late 80's. Supposedly we made it back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I have a feeling that's what's coming.

    I will get fucked with that because I am up for a longevity in 2012 - the first since 2008.

    I have already figured I won't get it.

    Hope I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Social Studies in Staten IslandMarch 28, 2011 at 8:53 PM

    I am keeping my fingers crossed, I am expecting my 15 year longevity this September.

    Did you also see that Big Audio Dynamite is playing Roseland in the next few weeks? (I know that is unrelated but I do know you love B.A.D and all things Clash-related)

    ReplyDelete