Perdido 03

Perdido 03

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Making SUNY And CUNY Tuition Free

From State of Politics:

Assemblyman James Skoufis is sponsoring legislation to give students free tuition to SUNY and CUNY schools if they agree to certain requirements. Participants would have to do 250 hours of community service each year, and then after graduation they’d need to stay in the state for at least five years. The goal is to help make college more affordable and assist non-profits around the state.

Pell grants and TAP do not come close to covering tuition, room and board at SUNY anymore.

Pell Grants and TAP still do cover CUNY costs if a student is eligible for them.

Still, I have seen way too many students have to take out $5000+ a year in loans lately to go to a SUNY school.

It would be great if there was some kind of program that gave students the opportunity to attend a SUNY school without having to go $20,000+ into debt to do it.

I have my doubts that Sheriff Andy Como would want this to happen - he likes to pass on the costs of tax cuts for rich people to working class and middle class college kids and their families.

But good to see this legislation introduced.

1 comment:

  1. CORRUPTION AND ILLEGAL ACTS IN A CUNY COLLEGE

    My name is Marshall Ross.
    My address is: 45 West 69th Street, Apartment No. 8
    New York, New York 10023
    U.S.A.
    My land-line telephone number is: 1-212-595-5857 (no voicemail)
    My cell phone number is : 1-347-569-3443
    My e-mail address is: marcelthewizard@gmail.com
    I have no facebook.
    The only ways to communicate with me are: 1. letters to my address
    2. my land-line telephone
    3. my cell phone
    4. my e-mail

    I have several academic degrees:
    1. Bachelors of fine arts, Tel-Aviv University
    2. Artist diploma, Tel-Aviv University
    3. Bachelors of music, Juilliard School, New York
    4. B.S. in Accounting (with distinction), Hunter College of CUNY, New York
    5. M.B.A. (with distinction), Long Island University, New York
    I am a CPA (Certified Public Accountant).
    I am a playwright and wrote several plays for the stage. None produced: no connections, no production.

    In this statement, I am sharing with the readers my experiences with 5 entities:
    1. Lehman College of CUNY
    2. CUNY (City University of New York)
    3. New York State Education Department
    4. PSC (Professional Staff Congress)
    5. New York State Court of Claims
    This is a documentary covering corruption, injustice, anti-semitism, commission of crimes and torts, and commission of unethical and immoral acts. I accuse Lehman College's administration of all the above. I accuse the other 4 entities of enabling Lehman College to do all the above and condoning all the above.
    Contact me if you want to learn more.

    ReplyDelete